Lead Free soldering
LEAD FREE SOLDERING
As we all know the melting temperature of Lead free solder is 20-40 degree more than the normal Tin and lead base solder.
To counter this temperature change we have to check the following for —
- Change in Set Temperature of soldering Iron.
- Drop of Tip Temperature during soldering
- wattage of soldering Iron
- Thermal mass of the soldering Joint
- Thermal stability of the soldering Bit
- Thermal recovery of the dropped down temperature
GENERAL PROBLEM DURING SOLDERING DUE TO HIGH TEMPERATURE
- Feeding of improper amount of solder
- Overheating and cracking
- Solder coming off
- Resin joint or protrusion icicle
Cost may also be more due to lower tip life at higher temperature
So best way for soldering lead free is by increasing the thermal recovery of the soldering iron with increasing the wattage of the Soldering station. soldering Stations up to 200 watts are available in market. we can select based on our requirement and thermal mass of the soldering Joint.
Increasing temperature is not a good idea in lead free soldering. It is better to increase the thermal recovery by increasing the wattage of Soldering Station. Higher wattage better thermal recovery.
Flux can be use for better results.
Selection of soldering iron bit plays an important role in soldering.